Sunday, January 08, 2006

this is the sort of thing that i probably don't have to say, but

I hate cancer. The number of people I've known recently who have had cancer, whether they died or not, is insane, and I wish it would stop killing all these people who mean so much to me and so much to the people I love.

My kitty Pogo has cancer and is slowly, slowly dwindling, but hanging in there, and she's such a good girl and it just kills me to watch her deal with the fact that she can't do all the things she used to.

Natalie and Alec's father, Ken, had Hodgkin's lymphoma, had a stem cell transplant, got Hodgkin's lymphoma again, had another stem cell transplant, and is now in critical condition with a case of pneumonia and failing kidneys and being air-ambulanced back to Evanston to be with his family. From afar, it sounds like things don't look good, and they've already been through so much that for the end to look so bleak is just eating away at my heart. I don't know what the case will be when I go to Evanston next weekend.

Jack's dad died of leukemia last June.

Zach's dad Laury, who we go to Camp with, had colon cancer a few years ago and while he doesn't anymore, his health has never been good since and it's all very scary.

Uncle Owen had prostate cancer, but thank goodness it's gone now.

Rachel's dad learned he had stomach cancer two summers ago and died within four months.

Tim fought and won a battle with testicular cancer, which took a big chunk out of his young life when all things should be about having fun. Happy ending ultimately, though.

Mrs. Burness died of pancreatic cancer on Thanksgiving.

Erica Rosenthal's dad died of cancer last summer, I'm not sure what kind.

Kate's dad had prostate cancer and come to think of it, I don't know how he's doing. I'm assuming he's ok, because I probably would have heard something if he wasn't.

JP Riley had testicular cancer but it sounds like he's doing ok.

Josh Elder had brain cancer but is fine now, which I suppose is another happy ending.


It's just so awful that there's pretty much nothing to be done about any of this, and one by one these amazing people are dying before their time. And in the end, there's nothing I can do about it. I can be a friend all I want, bring them cookies and give them hugs, but it doesn't really do anything. And if there's one thing I hate, it's being useless.

No comments:

Post a Comment