Friday, January 20, 2006

lost and alone


Humphrey
Originally uploaded by gobears1983.

I'm sure you've probably all heard by now about the whale who swam up the Thames. It reminds me a lot of Humphrey, the humpback whale who swam through the San Francisco Bay and into the Sacramento River Delta in 1985. I was only two, so I don't exactly remember it, but the picture book Humphrey The Lost Whale was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. And perhaps it still is. I have to find my copy of it.

Anyway, they got Humphrey out of the delta by making big scary noises behind him, and nice happy whale noises in front of him, so that he'd swim towards the whale noises. I don't quite understand why they haven't done this in London. Or perhaps they have, but none of the articles have said anything about it. See, I don't get this. This whale is clearly hurt and confused and scared and alone, and no one seems to be willing to do what it takes to save it. If you won't use sounds, then get a damn crane and lift the poor baby to the open sea! I will never understand how people can just stand by and let animals suffer. It absolutely kills me.

If I knew who to call about this in London, I would do it... but somehow I have misplaced my London telephone directory.

All I can think about nowadays is traveling. The problems with this are: a) it makes me depressed about how boring my life is, b) I have no money, c) I have very little vacation time, and d) there are too many places to go! But the fact that as soon as I get home, all I can think about is leaving again... that makes me think that the main problem is that I have no one to play with here, and I spend all my time babysitting. Not that I have anything against babysitting, usually, but too much is too much.

The one nice thing in the world is that winter in San Francisco means a strange combination of falling leaves, cherry blossoms, rainy mornings and sunny afternoons. It's cold, but I love it. Except for getting out of the shower in the morning.

I guess I'm going to the East Bay to see Danielle, or something. Cause she's actually around. All three of my friends here are good. Oh! And Nathan Matsuda is here for 6 months! He's here for a Pixar internship, but I like to think he just came to hang out with me for 6 months.

Happy weekend.

-Cam

No comments:

Post a Comment