Tuesday, November 04, 2008

good signs

I'm not going to write out all the city initiatives I care about- it's too late, I'm too tired, and I have to get up too early. I have barely even read the Los Angeles ones myself-- I'll probably save them to read in line when I vote tomorrow, or for a good thorough conversation with Steve and Kirk in the car on the way back from Brentwood in the morning. But I want to point out two possibly important, possibly just superstitious good omens for the Obama campaign:

1) The Pittsburgh Steelers won tonight. The Steelers were playing the Washington Redskins. Legend (according to Slog) has it that when the Washington Redskins win the night before an election, the incumbent party is always elected. And tonight they lost. Hallelujah!

2) Dixville Notch, New Hampshire overwhelmingly voted for Obama tonight at midnight Eastern Standard Time. New Hampshire law allows towns with fewer than 100 residents to open their polls at midnight on Election Day and close them as soon as all the residents have cast their ballots. Dixville Notch has leaned Republican ever since Hubert Humphrey in 1968-- but tonight they chose Obama at 15 votes to McCain's 6. Let's hope it's an early indicator of a national trend.


Time for bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment