Monday, November 03, 2008

2 days

I did a decent job of keeping my mind off the election this weekend- in fact, I'm not quite sure how I did it. There was Halloween, then Saturday spent almost entirely with Steve and Kirk, and today I watched The 40-Year-Old Virgin with Chris and then saw Rachel Getting Married with Steve, Kirk and Will. So I kept busy, emphatically so, in an attempt to drown out the anxiety.

But oh, how it hovers.

And so, now there is nothing more to do than throw myself into the Obama phone banks tomorrow, something I've been avoiding because I don't like talking to strangers, and to pass out voter information for No on Prop 8 on Tuesday morning, again with Steve and Kirk. I have to be a part of this election, more than I have been thus far. So far I've given into my fear of being told off by people who disagree with me... but the time has come to suck it up and do what I can. Because honestly, if we end up with McCain as president and a statewide ban on gay marriage... well, I don't know what would happen, but I know it wouldn't be good. It makes me sick to think about a Supreme Court appointed by McCain, and even sicker to think of people like Steve and Kirk not being able to get married if they want to.

That's what I'm doing. What are you doing, if you can spare the time to do it? Go here to find an Obama phone bank near you: http://30barack.com/

Or here to help with No on Prop 8: http://www.noonprop8.com/action?source=google&gclid=CNuuxp3d2JYCFRs-awod5yh22w

In a nutshell, you can do these things;

1. donate to your campaigns
2. volunteer
3. just TALK to people about how you're voting and why. you never know how many minds you can change!


Soon there will be pictures up from this weekend, and even sooner I'll put up a whole list of California and general election initiatives and how I am voting on them (because I am oh so influential!). But for now, please just think about doing everything you can to make sure Obama wins on Tuesday and Prop 8 goes down in flames. Oh, and hey, vote yes on Prop 1A, because it would be awfully nice to be able to get home to San Francisco in a scant two hours on the high speed rail.

No comments:

Post a Comment